Monday, July 10, 2017

Birds and Bees



Bird Song 
Lyrics by Robert Hunter 
Music Jerry Garcia 

A song written after the passing of Janis Joplin 

All I know something like a bird within her sang
All I know she sang a little while and then flew on
Tell me all that you know
I'll show you
snow and rain

If you hear that same sweet song again,will you know why?
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passing by
Laugh in the sunshine
Sing,cry in the dark
Fly through the night





Birds of Passage

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Black shadows fall
From the lindens tall,
That lift aloft their massive wall
  Against the southern sky; 
And from the realms
Of the shadowy elms
A tide-like darkness overwhelms
  The fields that round us lie. 
But the night is fair,
And everywhere
A warm, soft vapor fills the air,
  And distant sounds seem near, 
And above, in the light
Of the star-lit night,
Swift birds of passage wing their flight
  Through the dewy atmosphere. 
I hear the beat
Of their pinions fleet,
As from the land of snow and sleet
  They seek a southern lea. 
I hear the cry
Of their voices high
Falling dreamily through the sky,
  But their forms I cannot see. 
O, say not so!
Those sounds that flow
In murmurs of delight and woe
  Come not from wings of birds. 
They are the throngs
Of the poet's songs,
Murmurs of pleasures, and pains, and wrongs,
  The sound of winged words. 
This is the cry
Of souls, that high
On toiling, beating pinions, fly,
  Seeking a warmer clime, 
From their distant flight
Through realms of light
It falls into our world of night,
  With the murmuring sound of rhyme. 






George J Carroll
Poem by twentieth century writer
Earliest use of the Bluebird of Happiness

“And in the valley beneath the mountains of my youth,
 lies the river of my tears. 
 As it wends its way to the ocean of my dreams, 
so long ago they have gone.  
And yet, if I were but to think anew, 
would these dreams evaporate in my mind
 and become the morning dew 
upon a supple rose whose beauty is enhanced
 with these glistening drops,
 as the sun of life peeks o’er the mountains
 when youth was full.  
Then I must not supply this endless fountain 
that creates the river of my tears 
but look beyond those mountains 
where the bluebird of happiness flies.”


  Paul McCartney 
on 
The Beatles Blackbird

    "you were only waiting for this moment to arise" was about, you know, the black people's struggle in the southern states, and I was using the symbolism of a blackbird. It's not really about a blackbird whose wings are broken, you know, it's a bit more symbolic.






Birds and the Bees
Jewel Aken 

Let me tell you bout 
The birds and the bees 
 The flower and the trees
 And the moon up above
 And a thing called love








No comments:

Post a Comment